Monday, December 6, 2010

Salvation Army Fill-A-Stocking


I have really fond memories of waking up on Christmas morning and running to the living room to see what Santa had left in my stocking. It was the only thing my sister and I were allowed to open while our parents were still asleep, and we always had a great time playing with the little toys and putting on our new lip balms and lotions. When my high school sponsored a home for foster kids, I made and stuffed stockings while everyone else wrapped toys. I LOVE me some Christmas stockings.

As I mentioned in my previous post, The Salvation Army runs a program called Fill-A-Stocking during the holidays. If you're in the Charlotte area, go to the Salvation Army Christmas Center at 801 E. Arrowood Rd. to pick up empty stockings. You can also pick them up at Specialty Shops on the Park (6401 Morrison Blvd., behind South Park Mall). Fill them with goodies, then return them to the Christmas Center by December 13th. K104.7 will be having a "Hanging Hope for the Holidays" event on Saturday, Dec. 11th at the Specialty Shops, where you can pick up and drop off your stockings.

It's SO easy to find lots of inexpensive toys, books, games and other fun stuff for next to nothing. Target's Dollar Spot is currently carrying holiday jigsaw puzzles, board books, card games, coloring books, toy cars, infant/toddler/kid hats & gloves, stuffed animals, hair accessories, body lotions, lip balm, and other fun stocking stuffers, all for $1 each. Dollar Tree also carries a good variety of small toys, baby bibs, blankets, toiletries, books, crayons, and more.

If you do participate in this awesome program, make sure to label each stocking with the approximate age range and whether it's for a boy or girl. The Salvation Army is looking for stockings for infants, toddlers, kids and teens. NO CANDY (per their request), and nothing made of glass. I've been having a lot of fun putting together my cheapie finds, and I'll post pictures of some of my stockings after I make a trip to pick them up. Even if you only fill one stocking, it'll make one child's Christmas that much merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment