Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday Brag for 2/12/11

This week, I was really motivated to pick up some stuff to donate to the Boy Scouts' Scouting for Food drive. I pulled together some coupons for Hamburger Helper, Quaker Oats, Maalox and Friskies. Here's my haul:

8 boxes Hamburger Helper (stroganoff & cheeseburger macaroni flavors), $1 each
5 bottles Maalox chewables (65 ct.), $3.79 each
2 bags Friskies Party Mix cat treats, $1.13 each
1 box Quaker instant oatmeal variety pack (22 ct.), on clearance at Target for $3.94
= $33.15 before tax

- (2) .75/3 Hamburger Helper, SS 1/02
- (2) .50/1 Hamburger Helper, IP (down right now, sorry!)
- (2) $1/1 Friskies cat treats, any, SS 1/23
- $1/1 any Quaker oatmeal, RP 1/02
- $1/1 Quaker instant oatmeal TQ, here
- (5) $5/1 any Maalox product, SS 1/09 (coupon value adjusted to $3.79 each by cashier)

= $7.70 after coupons!

I really wish the cashier hadn't insisted on changing the coupon value. At first, she tried to say that she couldn't take them because they were more than the value of the items (not true, according to Target's coupon policy), and then tried to say that I could only use one, since the coupons say "one per purchase". However, "one per purchase" means "one per item". If a coupon says "one per transaction", you can only use one in your order. Target got in big trouble over the summer for giving customers less than the full face value of the coupons, and most stores will now go ahead and give it to you. Unfortunately, they do still reserve the option of adjusting the value of the coupon if the item costs less, according to their official coupon policy. I don't like this at all. I really doubt Target's telling the manufacturers to keep the extra money, since they only let me have part of the value of the coupon. But I digress...

If I was a little luckier and had a cashier who gave me the full $5 off each bottle of Maalox, my total would've been $1.65. Even my "big" total of $7.70 is a teeny price to pay for all the stuff I'm donating! I hope this inspires you to get out and use your coupons. See you back here next week for another brag! And if you want me to share your trip, leave a link to your blog in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment